Introduction to the course
General English in cooperation with Pre-intermediate English Course on Englishlink is well-designed for learners with a good basic ability or who can improve a lot in all areas with an equivalence to B1 level according to CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). After the course, students are able to use English in basic everyday events in the present, past and future tenses, read simple texts, write informal letters & e-mails, and distinguish adjectives, adverbs, articles, possessives, and some prepositions. More importantly, this course can provide a good preparation for English students who want to use English for work, study, travel or to pass any English exam.
|Course name:||General English 1|
|Estimated Duration:||45 hours|
1. Comprehending some basic grammars and demonstrating them into general writing and communication connected to familiar and personal topics
2. Identifying colorful vocabulary and slangs about common topics in life to produce ideas and conversations successfully
3. Performing speaking skill including intonation, pronunciation, stress and fluency so as to construct conversations related to personal and familiar topics
4. Mastering listening and reading skill for the main idea and detailed information to adapt for real-life situations
- Present simple and continuous tense used in daily topics and activities such as family, friends, sports, work and food
- Past simple and continuous tense, describe past actions with used to
- Countable and uncountable nouns and some quantifiers: some, any, much, many, a lot of, a little and a few
- Intonation with questions and pronunciation of weak vowel sounds
- Future intentions with will and going to and present continuous with future arrangements
- Telephone communication
- Describing people with what's...like / what does...look like, talking about body parts
- Use of comparatives and superlatives to compare things and describe cities
- Describing likes and dislikes with can't stand, hate, like...
- Talking about sizes with too and not enough
- Making suggestions with let's, shall, what about, and how about
- Contracting sounds, intonation when complaining and pronunciation of vowel sounds
- Present perfect and past simple tense to discuss news and life experiences
- English used at the airport and for business around the world, how to start conversations with new people
- Describing things sold in different countries with passives
- V_ing and to infinitive to talk about education
- Asking for and giving advice with should and shouldn't
- Use of modals of obligation and permission in the present and past: have to, don't have to, must, mustn't, can, can't, had to, didn't have to, could and couldn't
- Intonation to show interest, sounds and stress patterns with "tion" word
- Future predictions with will and going to
- Extreme adjectives, job interview
- Use of a, an, the and zero article
- Present perfect simple and present perfect continuous when talking about relationships and actions
- First and second conditional sentences
- Reported speech to tell stories in the past, past events and report things said
- Intonation with conditional sentences and pronunciation improvement of sounds
Students are required to be at elementary level before taking this course
Phan Thị Tuyết Nhung
||Language & Rights Specialist, FUNiX Program Department.
Bachelor in English Translation and Interpreting from University of Languages and International Studies, Vietnam National University.
Teacher Training Certificate in Professional Teacher Training from Hanoi National University of Education.
Five-year English teaching experience
Below is the free massive open online learning sources (MOOC) used for this course by FUNiX: Englishlink.
All open learning sources used in FUNiX training program are public, constantly updated and freely used. FUNiX is always willing to receive and discuss any comments, suggestions and responses related to our learning sources via email email@example.com.